Thursday, June 29, 2006

Mobile

Suresh was the lead designer of the project.

"And, the Billing-Cash class would take care of the cash bills, while the Cash-Cash class would take care of the cash-in-hand status", he was telling the team.
"But shouldn't the Billing-Cash class be inherited from the Cash-Cash module?", that was Shyam, an engineer in charge of the development.
"The Cash-Cash class...", Suresh was interrupted by the latest hindi item number that came out of his mobile.
"One second...", he said looking at the screen. It was his cousin Balaji. He picked up the call, oblivious to the staring crowd who expected that Suresh to switch off his mobile, just like they all did, when they entered the meeting.

"haan, tell me da...", he said loudly.
"..."
"No, no, I must be done by then..."
"..."
"No, dont worry dude, I will pick you up"
"..."

The conversation continued for another five minutes. When he came back, he looked frustrated.
"Its the family", he said as he entered the room again.

"Now, where were we? Yeah... we were discussing the Billing classes. The Billing-Cash class...".

It was the item number again. Suresh disappeared for some more time.

There audience seemed noisier as he continued the presentation. He wondered why.

X---------------------X-------------------X

"I waited for 45 minutes before I took the auto", screamed Balaji.
"uh, I was on the way da, when this old friend of mine called. Had spend some time with him. I started right after the meeting, but it was already late...", reasoned Suresh.
"but, why couldn't...", Balaji was interrupted. It was the latest item number. Suresh picked it up.

"haan, tell me da", Suresh said loudly.
"..."
"yeah, yeah, I know all about you *%&*&"
"..."
"What about yesterday. You didn't call up yesterday either..."

Balaji went to the dining-room, unable to stand the noise and the language.

"Whats up? Isn't Suresh joining you for dinner?", it was Balaji's mom, as she served dinner.
"nah, its the mobile again. He will come."

Balaji was half way through dinner when Suresh came into the dining room.
"Whats for dinner?", he said as he pulled up a chair.
"Who was that, on the phone?" queried Balaji in response.
"That bugger Sethu. He spends so much time with that girl, he doesn't even call...".

It was the item number again. Suresh picked up the phone.

"Yeah, Shyam, tell me..."
"..."
"Aare nai yaar. The Billing-Cash class is derived from the Cash class. So is Cash-Cash", Suresh left the table seeking the solace of the balcony for the conversation.

Balaji's mom stared at the empty chair when she came back from the kitchen.
"What happened?" she asked.
"Its the phone again", sighed Balaji. "I just wish he spends more time in real life than on the phone"

X---------------------X-------------------X

"Yeah, but you didn't finish telling us about the Cash class during the meeting..."
"..."
"But..."
"..."
"Okay..."
"..."
"Yeah, okay, I understand now. Thanks", Shyam threw his mobile down in frustration.

"I simply do not understand unless I see him explain on the board", he said looking at his colleague.
"I wish he uses the face time to explain the design...", he complained to the cubicle. "But with his mobile ringing all the time... God save us!'

X---------------------X-------------------X

"The bloody office... I just wish these guys learn some fundamentals before they come on the job, I have to keep repeating the same darn thing day in and day out, and they still screw things up...", complained Suresh loudly as he entered.

But Balaji wasn't around. Suresh looked enquiringly at his aunt.
"He has gone out for a walk with tiger", she said. Tiger was their pet dog.
"He is angry at me. I need to cool him down...", Suresh said, as he gobbled down some food, and dialed Balaji's mobile at the same time.

Balaji's mobile rang in the room next door.

2 comments:

balakumar said...

I like the narration... keep it up !! ;)

Deepa said...

We are so much addicted to technology atpresent.. and this is a great example of that.I rember a snippet i read somewhere..
Son ( in the upstairs study IMs his mom downstairs)Mom..i am busy. If the dinner is ready pls msg me back
Mother :Dinner is ready. Downlaod at your convenience